Creating a blog sounds appealing, but what if you don’t know what to write about? Perhaps you have an idea to try out but you are not sure if it will work out. I will give you some pointers on how to choose a blog niche that you will want to write on for years.
One of the hardest parts of starting a blog is choosing a blog niche. You may have countless ideas going through your mind or you might be struggling to get one.
In this article, you will see the importance of a blog niche, what a blog niche is, and also steps you can take to choose a good niche for your blog.
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
The Definition of a Blog Niche
A blog niche is a particular topic you write about on your blog. To make a decision regarding your blog niche, you have to clearly understand who your target audience is.
The Importance of a Blog Niche
Generally, the function of a blog is to share with the world your thoughts and ideas. But what if you share your thoughts and ideas as they come into your head? Why not opt for a single niche? No one will arrest you for sticking to a niche. Moreover, many people have found success with this approach.
However, it is not all topics you love that will interest your reader. It is hard to build an audience if you want to cover multiple niches. By covering only one specific niche you will gain followers who are interested in that particular subject.
Sticking to one niche will draw people who are interested in what you blog about. You can choose any niche but if you want to monetize it with affiliate links to products then consider your preferred audience.
Blogging is all about writing content for your website that will interest people and help them solve a problem. Don’t worry if you are concerned about your grammar or writing structure. There are free tools that you can use to help polish your writing such as Grammarly and Yoast.
Brainstorm the topic ideas for your niche
Search for ideas. Look around your room or house and see whether the objects you own spark an idea. Observe your daily life whether there is something you can write about on your blog. Check other people’s blog articles, magazine articles, shopping sites, etc.
You can also make a list of the topics that catch your interest and you are willing to talk about, be it personal or professional. Think about what you like doing in your leisure time. This will help you share knowledge with your audience in your area of expertise.
Think about all the things you would love to learn. Or you could possibly think about your plans and projects you have to carry out. Thinking about all these and more will help you get a topic that you will feel passionate to share on your blog. And it will help you get a better response from your audience.
Validate the Topics You Have Picked
After you have brainstormed and chosen several topics, it is now the time to validate your topics to see which is the best one for you.
Consider these three factors:
- How passionate are you about these topics? You can rate each topic on a percentage
- How passionate are other people about your topics?
- Are these topics likely to earn you money?
Note that if you pick a topic:
- That you are passionate about and is profitable, but other people are not interested in, you are not going to get an audience or an income
- People like but you are not interested in, it will be hard to create blog posts around it in the future
- That has a large audience but not profitable, you will earn reputation, not money.
Let’s go through another validation process that will enlighten you.
The Three Steps to the Niche Validation Process
Choosing the right niche is essential. It helps you earn money, get connections and prestige for your work.
In this section, we are going to go through a three-step validation exercise to help you decide if your niche has good potentials.
Having an excellent niche idea does not mean it will attract readers and build your audience. This is the reason you need to find out the size of your blog niche.
To do this, you can start by searching for keywords people search for while visiting other niches. To search for keywords, go through the process below:
- Launch Google.com and in the search box, type in the main search word important to your niche. Then, hit on the Search button
- Then a page appears, and at the end of the page, you will see “Related Searches” with different keywords suggested
- You can also use a paid tool like the SEMRush to gather keywords in a manageable way. Gather up to twenty keywords
- Then, you can select the keyword that best suits your niche
A keyword or words are the main search words a visitor would use in your chosen niche idea (i.e. baby clothes or bass guitars)
2. Explore the Competition
Do not be sad if you find out that the niche you’ve chosen is highly competitive. It only implies that many people are interested in it. Guess what! You can even use this opportunity to turn them into your fans and followers provided you have the right content. This is content that informs and helps people with their questions.
Note that other bloggers present in your niche are not necessarily your competitors. This is because, sooner or later, you get to join hands with them, and even get to know them in person. So behave well towards them at all times.
Know more about your competition:
- Go on Google and search for niche blogs and, also, your niche blogs. There you’ll see hundreds of blogs in your chosen niche. Let this motivate you; if they can do it, you can too!
- Now, search on Facebook for your niche. Probably you will find a few pages about it with probably a thousand fans or more on Twitter too for your niche. You may have a few references or retweets about your topic.
If your search proves that your chosen niche has a good following, then it shows that you have chosen well.
3. Check out its Potential to Make Money
Practically, everyone wants to make money through their blog. Some bloggers began blogging with the intention to explore their talent. But soon, they discovered that it is also possible for them to earn money through it.
Through a survey, it was discovered that millions of bloggers make money through blogging.
Here are some pointers to take note of:
- Have you seen some bloggers in your niche selling product or information related to your niche? If yes, be assured your niche is profitable
- Do bloggers often advertise a business in your niche?
These pointers show that your niche can earn you money.
Put those ideas you picked from the start through your validation system. In the end, you will find a niche, and figure out how you are going to go about it and make a profit with it.
If you are unsure about several niches, why don’t you pick your favorite idea for a niche this way you will focus properly? Before you start your blog, create a strong blogging strategy so as to get your audience’s attention to your niche.
- Write a list of articles that you would write for your blog
- Check-in ClickBank or ShareASale to see what affiliate products you could promote
- Use Google search to see what your audience is looking for in your niche idea (i.e. Grooming tools for dogs, How to get organic traffic)
When you do all the information highlighted in this article, you will be able to create income from your niche. Not only that, your niche blog will be successful given that you put the time into creating exciting and informative content and add affiliate links for people to buy.
If you are ready to get started but wondering who can help you to build your blog and support you on this exciting journey?
Read my #1 Recommendation for building a profitable website at Wealthy Affiliate and join me so I can support you too. It’s Free to get started and no credit card is needed. It is where I learned all the tips and tricks, you have nothing to lose.
Stretch towards your dreams today!
Thank you for visiting, I would love it if you would leave a comment and share this blog.