Now that you have finished investing your time in creating your book, how can you get it out to the masses? Firstly, you will need to decide what goal you wish to achieve. To give you some clarity, I will be looking at four simple ways that could help you decide how to sell your book online – easy!
Who would want your book?
In which category of books would you say your masterpiece fits? Is it a children’s book? Young teens? For adults only? Is it a novel or an educational book?
I know, so many questions but all the answers will help you to target the right audience and get sales. Do you want to make a profit? Or do you plan to use your book to create a business by giving it away?
Once you have answered these questions you can seriously access the best path to reach your goal.
Let’s look at your options.
E-Book or Hard copy?
An e-book is an inexpensive way to get your book out to people. Literally, within minutes of them buying. From publishing my own book many years ago, I remember that promoting and distribution were the most expensive and difficult parts of making a profit. This is no longer the case.
With the creation of the world wide web, we can all now reach out to billions of people from our own homes.
With the advancement of internet technology, people can now do lots of things online to make money. It could be marketing products on social media, freelancing and more. The good thing is that book publishing is not left out of these benefits.
So, if you love writing stories or reading, I’m happy to tell you that there’s a way to monetize your writing. That way you get value out of the time you spend writing.
Monetizing what you write entails compiling those write-ups and turning them into books that people can download and read. These books are called e-books and you can publish them and put for sale on different platforms.
Before you go further into your publishing journey, here are tips you ought to always have in mind:
- The quality of your book matters a lot. So, make sure that your book is interesting because this will make readers look for more of your books
- Thoroughly proofread the book you want to publish to correct errors
- Create an attractive professional cover for your book.
Media for Selling e-books
If you want to start publishing e-books, you can either promote your books through your website or social media. But these two media require having good traffic on your site or a good number of audiences on social media.
But what then happens if you’re not on social media? Don’t worry it’s still fine because platforms abound where you can publish your books. This is a good idea especially when you don’t have a large presence on social media.
It’s a good way to put your books out there because you get to leverage on these platforms’ large audience.
For the purpose of this tour, we shall be looking at the Amazon kindle platform for books publishing. So, how do you go about publishing your books on this platform?
How to Publish Your Books on Amazon Kindle
This platform is the right place to put your books on display because of its large audience. There are over 80 million customers on Amazon who are waiting to buy books. This means you won’t get starved of audience on this platform. So, let’s get started.
- Visit kdp.amazon.com on your web browser. That’s where you’ll publish the book.
- You need to sign in with any existing Amazon account. Create an account if you don’t have any.
- When you sign in, you’ll see your bookshelf. It’ll be empty because you haven’t published anything yet.
- To add a book you want to publish, click on add new title. You’ll see a page for you to input the details of the new book you want to publish. It could be the book’s title, description and more.
- Always make sure that the words you put in your description box are enticing and convincing enough. This is because your description is your sales pitch.
- Input the essential parameters where necessary and upload your book cover and the file itself. After that your book will upload.
- Always note that Amazon gets a 30% commission from every sale you make. This is the fee you pay for the platform they give you.
What are my options?
- Sell Your book through an online platform – Amazon, eBay
- Create your own website and keep all the profit and control
- Design your own shop online
- Use another person’s website or platform to sell your book. Blurb.
Each option has Pros and Cons. But by making a few decisions on who will want to buy your book before settling on where to sell it, you can choose the best market place deal.
1.Amazon Or eBay?
For sales below 40 items a month Amazon may suit you. At 99c US per book and handling fees, this is a great opportunity to sell worldwide. For sales over 40 items, a month Amazon charges $39.99 a month and other fees. Your profit will be put into your account every month.
To retain even more profit eBay may be the best vector, although keep in mind that you will be shipping your book personally.
2.Create Your own Website
The main concern with selling your book through a distributor is that you lose control of that customer forever. One of the greatest challenges of creating and selling anything is getting repeat sales.
If you create your own website, then you can ask and collect email contacts for your customers to serve them long term. For a creative person, owning a personal website where you can interact, advise, and assist your visitors can be extremely rewarding.
It’s understandable that if you have never owned a website that you may feel unsure about the technology. I invite you to read my #1 recommendation on how to build a successful website business yourself and learn as you go.
You could also build your own website on a subject that you love and then write an ebook that you give away for free to encourage people to stay connected to you through their email address. Join me as your mentor to build a website of your own.
3.Design Your Own Shop Online
This could be a good choice for you if you are looking to sell many different books over time. Shopify offers a free 14 day trial with training and then a Monthly fee for different levels of business. Starting at $29 US, $79US, $299US for the professional level.
Just keep in mind that you will always have to pay the monthly fee to keep your shop.
4. Use a Book Platform
Blurb has a free format that you can create your book on and you don’t pay until someone buys your book. The only tricky part of this is that you will need to do all the promotion for your book. This is also the case with your own website.
This company has recently linked itself to Amazon Kindle, this enables you to sell your e-book to Kindle book buyers. E-books can be a fast, efficient, and inexpensive way for you to get that awesome novel out to the world. Some great advice from Wikipedia.
Make sure that you read the fine print when choosing how to create and sell your book.
Key Points of Book Sales
- Where and how will you create your book?
- Will it be printed or an E-Book?
- Where and how will your book be promoted?
- Who will ship your book to the customer?
- How much will you make per book?
- How will you get paid?
Once you have answered all these questions you will be ready to launch into being a published author and reap the rewards.
Publishing books can be a great way to earn especially if people love your books. So, put more effort into the quality of your book. One more thing; don’t underestimate the power that a book cover carries.
Remember that some people judge books by their covers. So, endeavor to make your book cover top-notch.
I hope this has helped, please leave a comment or like and share. Thank you.
Wishing you great success.